Game 40: Aeros 12, Senators 8
Lots of hits...lots of runs...lots of rain...Senators lose 12-8 to the Akron Aeros.
• The umpire crew helmed by Jon Saphire did a piss poor job in jumping the gun on declaring the rain delay and then hightailing it out of dodge for the next ten minutes. The presumptive decision ended up costing the Senators the use of Cory VanAllen in a then tight 8-7 game.
• In his first appearance of his rehab assignment, Rick Ankiel became the third Senator this season to take home the Golden Sombrero (0 for 4 with 4 strikeouts).
• The parade of relievers who couldn't contain the Akron offense was so depressing, would Harrisburg have been that much worse off if either OF Bill Rhinehart or 44-year old pitching coach Randy Tomlin finished the game? During the rain delay the Senators could have held a mini-tryout and signed the first fan who threw a strike to pitch the remainder of the game.
• Despite the somewhat lopsided result, the Senators tied their season-high for hits in a game (14).
• Do you know how every year the overlords at Merriam-Webster add new words and phrases into the dictionary? Well, the hour and a half rain delay gave me an opportunity to thumb through my latest edition and I found one of those new entries that I thought was apropos of tonight's game.
barthmaiered (bärth-mahy-erd) -adjective
1. the act of throwing gasoline on a fire
2. making matters worse
My girlfriend wasn't receptive to a threesome and then I barthmaiered the situation even further when I suggested her sister join the festivities.
The Sports 'Burger Star of the Game: Josh Johnson (3-4, 1 3B, 2 R, 1 RBI)
Next Game: Tomorrow at 7:05 PM @ Canal Park vs. Akron Aeros
Probables: Erik Davis (HAR) 1-1, 3.49 ERA vs. Joe Gardner (AKR) 3-2, 2.70 ERA